Chain, Product, and Quotient Rule
- Chain Rule:
- Product Rule:
- Quotient Rule:
- In a parametric equation, x and y are given in terms of t and you must use the above rule to find the derivative.
- These represent circles or lines with circular curves, on a Cartesian plane.
- They are difficult to rearrange in the form y = …, hence, differentiate as is.
- Differentiate x terms as usual
- For y terms, differentiate the same as you would x but multiply with dy/dx
- Then make dy/dx the subject of the formula for the derivative