- KINGDOM FUNGI
- For a very long time, fungi were classified as plants. However they are very different from plants anf belong to their own kingdom.
- Fungi do not have chlorophyll and do not photosynthesize.
- They feed saprophytically, or parasitically, on organic material like feces, human foods, and dead plants or animals.
- A fungus is made of hypha, which are long tubes, collectively, they are called mycellium and form branches that can cover many acres.
- The hypha is a long tube and effectively one cell with many nuclei.
- The hypha can be divided into comparments by septa; the tip is tapered, this is where it is growing outwards, and is known as the extension zone.
- Fungi grow specialized areas for reproduction called fruiting bodies. These can grow very large and be visible to the naked eye, mushrooms. Spores are produced from fruiting bodies.
Photo Credit: Byjus.com