Speech Sounds - /U/, /U:/
Description of the /u/ Sound
- /u/ is a short vowel sound
- It is pronounced when the back of the tongue is raised towards the roof of the tongue
- When it is pronounced, the lips are kept in a circular form and the mouth is slightly open
Description of the /u:/ Sound
- This is a long vowel sound
- It is pronounced when the tongue is brought up so that the corners would touch the back teeth
- The sound is made right at the top of the mouth and the lips are brought close in a circled position
Spelling the /u/ Sound
- u, as in: pull, butcher, full, cushion, sugar, etc.
- oo, as in: shook, took, cookies, good, foot, hook, etc.
- o, as in: woman, wolf, bosom, etc.
- ou, as in: would, should, could, courier, bouquet, etc.
Spelling the /u:/ Sound
- o, as in: lose, prove, move, two, whom, etc.
- oe, as in: shoe, canoe, etc.
- u, as in: crude, flute, cute, dune, June, Luke, nuke, etc.
- oo, as in: noon, cool, choose, drool, loo, pool, fool, cooed, food, etc.
- ou, as in: soup, group, wound, coup, etc.
- ew, as in: Jew, few, chew, pew, drew, etc.
- ue, as in: sue, due, glue, blue, true, etc.
- ui, as in: suit, juice, fruit, cruise, view, etc.