Speech Sounds - Diphthongs /ei/, /ai/, /ɔi/
Description of the /ei/ Sound
- To say /ei/, the front of your tongue moves from the position of saying /e/ to the position of saying /i/.
- The sound is therefore a combination of the two pure vowel sounds /e/ and /i/
- Your lips are spread when you say the /ei/ sound.
Description of the /ai/ Sound
- When you say the /ai/, your tongue moves from the position of saying /a/ to the position of saying /i/
- The /ai/ sound is a combination of the two pure vowel sounds /a/ and /i/
Description of the /ɔi/ Sound
- To say the /ɔi/ sound, the front of your tongue starts down from the position of saying /ɔ/ and then moves up to the position of saying /i/
- The /ɔi/ sound is a combination of the pure vowels /ɔ/ and /i/
- Your lips change from open rounded to neutral spread when you say /ɔi/
Spelling of the /ei/ Sound
- ae, as in: mate. cake, late, etc.
- ai, as in: paint, faint, aim, bail, fail, etc.
- a, as in: fatal, naval, papal, etc.
- ay, as in: clay, lay, slay, bay, play, etc.
- ey, as in: they, obey, grey, etc.
- ea, as in: great, steak, break, etc.
- ei, as in: weight, eight, reign, etc.
Spelling of the /ai/ Sound
- i, as in: kind, find, bind, etc.
- i_e, as in: time, mine, fine, bite, etc.
- ie, as in: tie, lie, die, pie, etc.
- ei, as in: height, either, neither, sleight, etc.
- y, as in: cry, try, dry, fry, ply, etc.
- ye, as in: bye, dye, rye, etc.
- ign, as in: resign, align, sign, malign, etc.
- igh, as in: sigh, bight, fight, fright, etc.
- uy, as in: buy, guy, etc.
Spelling of the /ɔi/ Sound
- oi, as in: boil, coil, noise, foil, soil, coin, etc.
- oy, as in: boy, coy, toy, Roy, ploy, etc.