Speech Sounds - /Ʒ:/, /ǝ/, /Ʌ/
Description of the /Ʌ/ Sound
- To make the /Ʌ/ sound, the center of your tongue is slightly raised towards the area between the hard and soft parts of the roof of your mouth
- The /Ʌ/ sound is a central mid vowel sound
- When you say /Ʌ/, your lips are neutrally open and no contact is made between your tongue and your upper side teeth
- The /Ʌ/ sound is a short vowel
Description of the /ǝ/ and /Ʒ:/ Sound
- To make the /ǝ/ and /Ʒ:/ sounds, the center of your tongue is raised (higher than for the /Ʌ/ sound) towards the area between the hard and soft parts of the roof of your mouth
- Your lips are neutrally spread and no firm contact is made between the sides of your tongue and your upper side teeth when you say /ǝ/
- While the /ǝ/ is a short vowel sound, the /Ʒ:/ sound is a long vowel sound
Spelling of the /Ʌ/ Sound
- u, as in: under, unarm, hunter, sun, bug, husband, bun, cub, cud, hub, fun, luck, fussed, stun, tunnel, etc
- o, as in: oven, London, onion, comfort, wonder, brother, etc.
- ou, as in: couple, double, young, country, tough, touch, country, etc.
- oo, as in: blood, flood, etc.
Spelling of the /ǝ/ Sound
- a, as in: woman, about, above, extra, Roman, salad, etc.
- o, as in: oblige, police, zealot, pilot, offend, latent, patent, garden, etc.
- er, as in: butter, alter, daughter, shelter, paper, cater, etc.
- re, as in: meter, liter, center, luster, etc.
- i, as in: possible, invisible, edible, feasible, etc.
- u, as in: support, succumb, etc.
- ar, as in: particular, sugar, etc.
- or, as in: pastor, tailor, sailor, horror, doctor, manor, etc.
- ure, as in: measure, future, treasure, figure, nature, etc.
- ou, as in: jealous, porous, riotous, frivolous, nervous, etc.
Spelling of the /Ʒ:/ Sound
- er/err, as in: err, her, fern, serve, perfect, kerb, etc.
- ur/urr, as in: fur, purr, church, turn, burn, etc.
- ir, as in: skirt, dirt, firm, sir, etc.
- or, as in: word, work, world, worm, worst, etc.
- ear, as in: earn, learn, heard, search, earth, etc.
- our, as in: journey, courtesy, scourge, courteous, etc.